VR Bungee System

For the HenryVR exhibition I designed and made a VR headset bungee system. It hangs from up high, in our case from the VR bungee pole we made from an IKEA lamp, and protects the Headset cable from being pulled and twisted. The bungee also provides a visual cue that the user is tethered, making them less likely to mess around with movement as they can feel the pull and weight of the bungee when they move around, but it does not affect their headset use or experience.

In making the headset I utilised some hardware accessories, namely tarp Bungee cords and hardware rope to make the bungee core.

bungee2.png

As can be seen above I looped the rope for the core part instead of tying it at both ends to avoid any untied knots and breakages, since it will be pulled on, and put the ends up where they will meet the pole. This part ended up being sewn together and heatshrink cable cover being used over it to keep them together with the black cloth cover.

The bungee can be seen as the black rope, it has a black knob which I put at the headset end to again avoid breakages and keep the core smooth, and put two loops of rope to stabilise movement with the headset when it is attached.

The red felt is the core cover, I used felt because it gives a thick solid feel without too much weight under the cloth cover, which ended up being cotton. I avoided any wool felt in case of allergies – unfortunately the bungee does have latex in it, but the user cannot touch the rubber as it is inside the felt and the knob covers the knotted end.

For the part that attaches the bungee to the headset I used elastic strapping with velcro, to create a tight fitting slip that can be adjusted to any headset. Update: it doesn’t fit the Oculus headset, this was a rushed job so I focused on making it suit the HTC Vive at the time. The velcro goes on the top of the headset visor, and the elastic underneath to not scratch users noses.

There is slack in the felt and black cover to allow for the bungee to be stretched without ripping the cloth and felt, and the edges are sewn together to avoid any gaps.

Cable velcro – the kind that is double sided – was used to provide cable loops for the headset cable. the idea was the cable would have slack and room to move in the loops, so when the bungee is pulled the cable remains slacked and isn’t destroyed.

I used cable ties to attach the bungee to the pole system, which is a pole from the IKEA REGOLIT floor lamp. For portable demos you can use the REGOLIT floor piece as well, but as we had the screens we mounted the poles to brackets behind that so it could swivel.

All in all the bungee and rod system work quite well, if you want more information on my process contact me and I’ll give you some pointers.

newBungee

The bungee, in place and finished.